[Freemanlist2] Prof. Paul Eidelberg - A Jewish Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Revisited

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 10 09:17:37 CST 2016

FREEMAN CENTER BROADCAST - MARCH 10, 2016For Zion's sake I will not hold my peaceand for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest." Isaiah 62.FREEMAN CENTER FOR STRATEGIC STUDIES
P.O. Box 35661 * Houston, Texas 77235-5661
* E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.netOUR WEB SITE < www.freeman.org >==========To keep Freeman List broadcasts coming, it is essential to contribute!Mail check to address  below or by paypal:
http://www.freeman.org/paypal.htm)==============ZIONISM IS LOVE OF YOUR COUNTRY, ERETZ ISRAEL (ISRAEL) AND AM ISRAEL (JEWISH PEOPLE).----------------- A Jewish Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Revisited  Prof. Paul Eidelberg Preliminary Remarks  If only in view of the current wave of Arab terrorism in Israel, no one should be surprised by the findings of the Pew Research Center’s study of Israelis’ attitudes.  PEW, which released its findings on March 8, 2016, had asked respondents whether they agreed that “Arabs should be expelled or transferred from Israel.” Forty-eight percent of Israeli Jews agreed, while 46 percent did not. Among self-described right-wing Jews, 72 percent agreed, along with 71 percent of religious Zionists. The PEW study prompts me to re-issue what I have termed “A Jewish Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict.”  Long before Rabbi Meir Kahane, the idea of “transfer” (of the Arabs residing in Israel) was proposed by Theodor Herzl, David Ben-Gurion, and other notables. Herzl wrote: “We shall try to spirit the penniless (Arab) population across the border by procuring employment for it in the transit countries while denying any employment in our own country.”  Since this realism is no longer realistic, the status of Judea and Samaria, Israel's heartland remains an open question. Prime Ministers like Benjamin Netanyahu have never deemed it “realistic” to declare Jewish sovereignty over Judea and Samaria. Instead, on June 14, 2009, Netanyahu bowed to President Barack Obama and endorsed the creation of a Palestinian state in this heartland of the Jewish people, the land misleadingly called the “West Bank.”  It should be understood, however, that a Palestinian state was the hidden goal of Shimon Peres, the architect of the Oslo or Israel-PLO Agreement of 1993. This is why Netanyahu has also been called “a disciple of Peres.” It was Peres who manipulated Prime Minister Rabin into bestowing legitimacy on the PLO, the world’s foremost terrorist organization. The PLO, renamed the “Palestinian Authority” for cosmetic reasons, a now headed by Mahmoud Abbas.. Since Netanyahu adopted the “two-state solution,” it would not be hyperbole to deem him a “closet leftist” who either sees no alternative to Palestinian statehood, or who lacks the intellectual creativity and stamina to construct and pursue an alternative.   What most thwarts bogus realists like Netanyahu is that they have no idea of what to do about the Arab-Muslims west of the Jordan River. Since Netanyahu is not about to expel these disciples of Muhammad, and since he is not inclined to make them citizens of Israel (as proposed by naive pundits), Netanyahu is stuck with his on-again, off-again “two-state solution.” Has been hung by his own petard.As an alternative to Netanyahu’s political paralysis or intellectual bankruptcy, let’s consider a Jewish Strategy that can encourage the people of Israel to promote the ascendency of a resolute and authentic Jewish Prime Minister. The Strategy I have in mind avoids all previously proposed solutions to the “Arab problem.” Its implementation requires a Prime Minister who is not enslaved to the suicidal Oslo Accords or to Netanyahu’s servile dependency on a Palestinian “partner.”  Let us therefore consider the Jewish Strategy I proposed on Israel National Radio on November 16, 2009. First, certain basic facts must be stated. 1.  A large majority of Israel’s Muslim residents has supported terrorist attacks against Jews, such as those that have erupted in Israel, especially since Pope Francis’ recent recognition of the Palestinian Authority as a sovereign state. These disciples of Muhammad constitute a “fifth column” that will support any attack on Israel, whether by Hamas, the Palestinian wing of the Muslim Brotherhood, or Hezbollah, a client of Iran.   2. No Government of Israel is going to expel this internal Islamic enemy which numbers about 20 percent of the country’s population. Moreover, since the Muslims in Judea and Samaria are subsidized by annual U.S. grants of hundreds of millions of dollars, it’s futile, as well as insulting, to pay these disciples of Muhammad to leave Judea and Samaria, as proposed by Israeli pundits who simply don’t take Islam seriously..  3. It is also obvious that Netanyahu does not have a constructive long-term strategy to preserve Israel’s territorial integrity and Jewish identity. Indeed, since his Cabinet has always consisted of a coalition of five or more rival parties, each with its own partisan agenda and ambitions, the pursuit of a coherent, resolute, and long-term national strategy is impossible under Israel’s present governmental system. 4. This last mentioned fact induces Israel’s Government to respond primarily to immediate or short term issues, to be preoccupied with the utterances of American presidents, and to be distracted and unnerved by Israel’s precarious standing in world opinion.   5. To propose a long term constructive policy at this juncture may appear as an exercise in futility. But we need to go beyond conventional political analysis, which has only led Israel to political paralysis. We need to be reminded that if the Jews do not address the Jewish problem, or what is required to enhance Israel as a Jewish commonwealth, Israel will be on a ship without a rudder, reacting to currents and waves made by others. 6. Israel, and only Israel, can solve the “Israeli-Palestinian conflict.”  This conflict is actually a manifestation the Jewish-Muslim conflict, which in turn involves a life-and-death struggle between Islam and Western civilization, at the heart of which stands Israel.  Here I limit the discussion to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.7. The only way to solve this conflict is to make Israel increasingly Jewish, on the one hand, and to make its Government accountable to the Jewish people on the other!  This will result in a steady emigration of Muslim Arabs.  How can this be accomplished? ● Translate into geostrategic reality a groundbreaking study conducted by the American-Israel Demographic Research Group (AIDRG). This study revealed that such is the increase of Jewish fertility rates and the decline of Arab fertility that Israel does not need to retreat from Judea and Samaria to secure Jewish demography.  The study shows a solid 67% Jewish majority with Judea and Samaria.● The study also advises Israel to scrap her parliamentary electoral system, which makes the entire country a single district where parties compete on the basis of proportional representation. As proposed in a paper I presented in l995 to the American Political Science Conference convened in Washington, D.C., the AIDRG study recommends a multi-district electoral system. It recommends the Interior Ministry's administrative partition of the country.  It points out that with regional elections, Jews will form large majorities in every administrative district in the country except the northern district, where Arabs comprise a bare 52% majority. The internal migration of about 50,000 Jews to the North would overturn that majority.  ● I would go even further. Thus, bearing in mind that nascent Israel, without any infrastructure, absorbed almost a million Jews in the first few years after her rebirth in 1948, the new Israeli government, animated by proud and not pathetic Jewish identity,  should undertake a seven-year program to absorb an average of 70,000 Jewish immigrants per annum to salvage the Jewish population in an increasingly Islamized Europe. ● To accommodate this influx of Jews, the Government should declare Jewish sovereignty over Judea and Samaria. Coincident therewith, the Government should pass a Homestead Act and sell small plots of this ancient Jewish land at low prices to Jews in Israel and abroad with the proviso that they settle on the land, say for a period of seven years. (This measure will diminish the strategically vulnerable concentration of Jews on Israel’s coastal plain.) ● The influx of 490,000 Jews into Judea and Samaria will result in a steady emigration of Arabs and, at the same time, erode the nationalist ambitions of Arab party leaders. ● Further, as I formally urged in 1995 both in Israel and in Washington, D.C., and which has since been recommended by the American-Israel Demographic Research Group, making MKs individually elected by and accountable to the voters in geographic constituency elections will not only make the Knesset more democratic, but also, as few have dared emphasize, it will simultaneously increase the impact of Jewish convictions on those who make the laws and policies of the State! ● Since at least 70 percent of Israel’s Jewish population consists of Jews who identify with the Jewish heritage – this was the percentage that voted against withdrawal from Gaza in the 2003 election – making MKs accountable to the voters in constituency elections will bury the idea of any territorial withdrawal and the creation of a Palestinian state. ● Moreover, phase out U.S. military assistance to Israel (now less than 1.5% of the country’s GDP), and thereby reduce to insignificance U.S. interference in Israel-Arab affairs. Both undermine Israel’s security interests and Jewish national pride.● Consistent with the Torah, and even with Israel’s Declaration of Independence, enact a Basic Law stipulating that Israel is first and foremost a Jewish Republic to which all political principles are subordinate.  Making Israel more Jewish by means of democratic principles, and making Israel more democratic by means of Jewish principles – this, I contend, is the only realistic way of solving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.☼============= Please contribute to The Freeman Center's essential educational activities. Mail check to address above or by paypal: http://www.freeman.org/paypal.htm