[Freemanlist2] Dr. Aaron Lerner Commentary: Netanyahu’s Greatness Revealed in Barak Interview

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 15 09:26:55 CST 2015

REEMAN CENTER BROADCAST JANUARY 15, 2014
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest." Isaiah 62.FREEMAN CENTER FOR STRATEGIC STUDIES
* E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net
OUR WEB SITE < www.freeman.org >
==========
(Please contribute to The Freeman Center's essential educational activities, if you like receiving our mail.

If not Now When? It is a Mitzvah for the New Year!
Mail check to address  below or by paypal:

http://www.freeman.org/paypal.htm)
==========================SUPPORT THE FREEMAN CENTER

 Weekly Commentary:  Netanyahu’s Greatness Revealed in Barak Interview
Dr. Aaron Lerner Date: 15 January 2015

Back when no one besides Israel gave any thought to Iran's nuclear weapons
program, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu realized that the only way to
possibly push the world on the Iran nuke issue was to convince them that
Israel would act alone if there was no alternative.

And the only way to do this was to actually prepare to attack.

But when Netanyahu sat with the top Israeli security people this was beyond
their comprehension.

The proof?  The absolutely top senior people later criticized Binyamin
Netanyahu for spending billions preparing for an attack that was never
launched, suggesting that if the whole operation was a ruse to convince the
world we were serious that we should have spent only a fraction of the costs
associated with full blown preparations.

Dear reader. If you appreciate that the United States of America has the
intelligence resources to discern if Israel caries out only partial
preparations then you are apparently more savvy than Israel’s top security
people.

Now that’s a disturbing thought…..

Back to the preparations.

President Peres objected.

The IDF objected.

The intelligence services objected.

Netanyahu needed an ally.

And his ally was Defense Minister Ehud Barak.

And it was most fortunate and hardly a foregone conclusion.

Because despite his reputation, Ehud Barak’s actual track record on
strategic thinking has been downright miserable.

Barak couldn’t comprehend why Israel needed a second strike capability and
thus opposed the purchase of submarines featuring launch tubes that have a
particularly large diameter so that – “according to foreign reports” - it
can launch missiles with nuclear warheads.

Ehud Barak also thought it was a fantastic idea to beat an extremely hasty
retreat from Lebanon and then to follow up by failing to deliver on threats
of a strong response to attacks emanating from the abandoned security area.

And today this same gentlemen thinks we should carry out a unilateral
retreat from sections of the West Bank.

But Ehud Barak had it right on Iran.

And Netanyahu need him as an ally.

Which brings us to Ehud Barak’s interview in last Friday’s Haaretz Magazine
section.

Barak complained that Netanyahu would have him over along with Avigdor
Liberman every couple of months on Friday at the official residence on
Balfour Street in Jerusalem where he would lecture the two on the need to
cut a deal with the Palestinians.  He would talk.  Liberman would just sit
there.  And at the end of each session Liberman would turn to Netanyahu and
say “I don’t know how to live with these proposals of Barak” and the session
would end.

Barak can complain.

I say three cheers for Netanyahu for having had come up with such a simple
way to placate his critical ally in the campaign to convince the world that
if it wouldn’t act Israel would.

Dr. Aaron Lerner, Director IMRA (Independent Media Review & Analysis)
(Mail POB 982 Kfar Sava)
Tel 972-9-7604719/Fax 972-3-7255730
INTERNET ADDRESS: imra at netvision.net.il
Website: http://www.imra.org.il