[Freemanlist2] WATCH: IDF drill prepares for Hezbollah threat in stormy Golan Heights -NOAM AMIR/MAARIV HASHAVUA

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 19 13:02:08 CST 2015

FREEMAN CENTER BROADCAST FEBRUARY 19, 2014
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest." Isaiah 62.FREEMAN CENTER FOR STRATEGIC STUDIES
* E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net
OUR WEB SITE < www.freeman.org >
==========
(Please contribute to The Freeman Center's essential educational activities, if you like receiving our mail.

If not Now When? It is a Mitzvah for the New Year!
Mail check to address  below or by paypal:

http://www.freeman.org/paypal.htm)
==========================SUPPORT THE FREEMAN CENTER

By NOAM AMIR/MAARIV HASHAVUA \
02/19/2015 17:00
WATCH: IDF drill prepares for Hezbollah threat in stormy Golan Heights
	* IDF expects UGVs, robots to play ever-greater roles i...
	* Country braces for flash floods, strong winds, snow
	* Ya'alon meets with India's PM Modi during 'historic v...
	* 123
	* 18
	*
	*
	*
	*
	*
	*
"The goal is to prepare for a transition from one front to another, and from routine to emergency," a senior source in the 7th Armored Brigade says.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
In the middle of Thursday's harsh winter storm in the Golan Heights, the IDF launched a regimental drill, including tanks from the 7th Armored Brigade and the Reconnaissance Battalions of the Paratroopers Brigade and the Engineering Corps.

During the drill, the battalion was redeployed from its operational activities in Judea and Samaria to the northern front in order to exercise possible battle scenarios against Hezbollah.

"The goal is to prepare for a transition from one front to another, and from routine to emergency," a senior source in the 7th Armored Brigade said. "We are not afraid of a storm. In fact the opposite is true, we are quite prepared, and it is important to drill the fighters in stormy weather as well. Of course the issue of safety is above all, but also operational preparedness," he explained.

The drill saw soldiers come up to the Golan in Merkava Mark IV tanks, which left the factory just three weeks ago and got muddy for the first time.

The drill tested scenarios on the northern front. "Hezbollah
 is the threat that we are drilling for," the source explained. "The dense and complicated Lebanese arena is full of challenges. Bases were disguised as military outposts, towns in the Golan were made to look like Arab villages and forests took the place of abandoned ruins," he explained.

The source said that paratroopers with anti-tank rocket launchers were hidden in the forests, a realistic scenario in battle against Hezbollah. The battalion practiced identifying them, neutralizing them and eliminating the threat.