[Freemanlist2] Prof. Paul Eidelberg -A National Goal FOR ISRAEL

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 12 11:00:29 CST 2011

FREEMAN  CENTER BROADCAST - JANUARY 12,  2010

Phone or Fax: 713-723-6016 * E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net
OUR WEB SITE (URL): < www.freeman. org >< /FONT>
THE MACCABEAN ONLINE: URL:http:// www.freeman. org/online. htm
Freeman Center Blog http://www. freeman.org/ serendipity /

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the perfect time to make a gift of
EDUCATION FOR JEWISH SURVIVAL
The Freeman Center has been your source of 'pull no punches'
discussion and education about the HARSH REALITIES
facing Israel and the Jewish Peope for almost 20 years.
PLEASE KEEP OUR VOICE STRONG
It is a Mitzvah!!
===============
To Make a tax deductible contribution to the Freeman Center's
important educational work, mail check to address above

or go to our website  www.freeman.org
to pay by credit card or paypal.

A National Goal FOR ISRAEL

(Updated from an old article)

Prof. Paul Eidelberg

Israel lacks a national goal. Its leaders have been pursuing the will-o’-the-wisp goal of peace.  Peace is not a national goal if only because peace depends on the good will of others.  By a national goal I mean one that imbues a people with a strong sense of national solidarity, pride, and accomplishment.

Israel can have only one national goal, and that is to become an authentic Jewish state (which Christian Hebraists called a “Hebraic Republic.” It was the Hebraic Republic of antiquity which Catholic and Protestant Hebraists such as Bossuet, Cunaeus, and Sigonio of the 17th century deemed the most just and wisest of all polities. Thus, when the term “Jewish state” is used in this article, the reader should substitute “Hebraic Republic” of which I have just completed a book.)

Only the goal of an authentic Jewish “state” can rally a large and enduring majority of the Jewish people.  Progress toward this goal should proceed in a step-by-step manner: it should result from a set of specific, interrelated government policies whose significance is evident to, and duly impresses, the public mind.

For present purposes it is not necessary to define precisely what I mean by a “Jewish state” (which I do in my aforementioned book).  Even the secular Left—benighted exceptions aside—is obliged to give at least lip service to the idea of Israel as a Jewish state.   Dripping with sweet sincerity, the Left ingenuously calls upon Israel to withdraw from its heartland, Judea and Samaria, ostensibly to preserve the “Jewish” as well democratic character of the state.  Never mind that Judea and Samaria are tied to the teachings of the prophets and sages!

In any event, it is incontrovertible that Israel’s only justification, its raison d’être, is to be a Jewish State. This fact is emblazoned in Israel’s Declaration of Independence. All that is necessary, therefore, is to formulate policies which are logically consistent with the general idea of a Jewish State, and to carry them out in such a way as to make progress toward this goal a vivid public reality.

Accordingly, a future government of Israel will:

(1) Enact a law that proclaims Israel’s raison d’être as a Jewish state the state’s paramount principle to which all other principles are subordinate.

(2) Enact an oath of loyalty to Israel as a Jewish state as a qualification for voting in Israeli elections.

(3) Enforce the 1952 Citizenship Law which empowers the Minister of Interior “to revoke the citizenship of any Israel national that commits an act of disloyalty to the State.”  (The term “act” should be defined in such a way as to safeguard freedom of speech and press.)

(4) Enforce Basic Law: The Knesset, which prohibits any party that rejects Israel as a Jewish state.

(5) Amend the “grandfather clause” of the Law of Return to curtail the flow of gentiles entering Israel.  (The money saved should be used to strengthen the bond between non-Jewish immigrants and the Jewish people.)

(6) Require all public-supported schools, including those attended by non–Jews, to include Jewish and Zionist studies in their curriculums.

(7) Terminate Arabic as an official language of the state. (It has no more justification than making Russian or English an official language of the state.)

(8) Change Basic Law: The Judiciary by empowering the President, advised by a council learned in Jewish and secular law, to nominate Supreme Court judges, subject to confirmation by parliament.

(9) Require the Supreme Court to abide by the Foundations of Law Act 1981, which was intended by the Knesset to make Jewish law “first among equals” vis-à-vis the various systems of jurisprudence used by the court.

(10) Tell the truth about Israel’s enemies in the Middle East.

If these measures were systematically and rigorously carried out—and I have other democratic measures in mind—the people of Israel would actually see their country making yearly progress toward the goal of a Jewish state.

Notice that the achievement of this Jewish national goal, unlike the pursuit of peace, does not depend on the vainly sought benevolence of other nations. In its quest for peace Israel has been pursuing a mirage.  Its political and intellectual leaders do not understand that it is not within the power of any nation or group of nations to give Israel peace. Israel must take its future into its own hands.  Only by pursuing the goal of a Jewish state will Israel begin to achieve peace.

In the final analysis, however, to achieve genuine and abiding peace, Israel will have to recognize the purpose for which it was created some 3,300 years ago, and that is to sanctify the Name of its Creator.  That is precisely what the Hebraic Republic of antiquity did, and that is why Christian Hebraists deemed the laws and institutions of this Republic as superior even to those recommended by Plato, Aristotle, and Cicero with whom these learned Hebraists were quite familiar. Let me only add that the great English Hebraist John Selden, a Christian who wrote six books on the Sanhedrin, recommended that that institution replace Britain’s parliament!