[Freemanlist2] Dr. Aaron Lerner Commentary: Likud Central Committee vote today not about the future of Jerusalem

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 30 15:24:33 CDT 2010

Phone or Fax: 713-723-6016 * E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net

SHABBAT SHALOM!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weekly Commentary: Likud Central Committee vote today wasn’t about the future of Jerusalem

Dr. Aaron Lerner                   Date: 29 April 2010

Let’s be clear about this: The Likud Central Committee vote today wasn’t
about the future of Jerusalem.  And while the vote indeed demonstrated the
ability of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to get things done in the
Likud, his success was very much because the issue on the agenda (postponing
internal elections) had nothing to do with national policy.

Binyamin Netanyahu did not get carte blanche from the Likud Central
Committee.  If anything, Netanyahu’s victory on the vote was achieved thanks
to the clarifications and assurances on national policy matters that he
apparently gave to various key Likud personalities to garner their support.

Is Binyamin Netanyahu planning to divide Jerusalem – or even just to extend
the housing construction freeze beyond the ten month period? (see the
countdown at:
www.dannydanon.com/he/index.php/the-news/166-hourglass  )

His answer to both is an adamant “no”.

Netanyahu’s positions on these issues reflect his own convictions.  That
doesn’t negate, however, the importance of the real politic justifications
for his stands – this especially when American acceptance of a real politic
justification isn’t predicated on having to agree with Mr. Netanyahu’s
policy arguments.

Is that his final word?

I would like to think so.

And it is our duty to do everything in our power to help make sure that this
is indeed the case.

The Likud MKs and ministers know that if as a result of unforeseen
circumstances, Knesset elections were advanced, that the roster of Likud
members qualified to vote in the Likud Party primaries would punish those
who supported policies in defiance of their constituents.  And they also
know that various party enrollment campaigns are more than likely to balance
each other out.

Nonetheless, there is no room for apathy.

This is not a question of personalities.

It is not a reflection on Binyamin Netanyahu.

Because the absolute last thing any Israeli leader needs, when facing world
pressure, is carte blanche from his constituents.

Dr. Aaron Lerner, Director IMRA (Independent Media Review & Analysis)
(Mail POB 982 Kfar Sava)
Tel 972-9-7604719/Fax 972-3-7255730
INTERNET ADDRESS: imra at netvision.net.il
Website: http://www.imra.org.il