[Freemanlist2] Plan to Deal with Collapse of the Israel's Coastal Escarpment

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 25 09:23:21 CDT 2010

Phone or Fax: 713-723-6016 * E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net

OBAMA THINKS THERE IS, IF YOU SACRIFICE ISRAEL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plan to Deal with Collapse of the Coastal Escarpment
(Communicated by the Prime Minister's Media Adviser)

The Cabinet today (Sunday), 25.4.10, approved Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu's and Environmental Protection Minister Gilad Erdan's proposal to
adopt the principles of the policy document on the collapse of a
43-kilometer long section of the Mediterranean Sea coast escarpment  and
establish an inter-ministerial team to create an operative working plan to
deal with the issue.  The team, chaired by Prime Minister's Office
Director-General Eli Gabai, will submit its recommendations within 120 days.

The aforesaid section of coast includes towns and cities, archaeological sites, vacation spots, hotels, nature reserves and open areas.  According to
professional elements, human activity has accelerated a natural erosion
process which, if allowed to continue unchecked, will lead to the collapse
of the escarpment and its withdrawal approximately 50 meters inland over
the coming decades.

Prime Minister Netanyahu said – inter alia – that, "The decision will allow
the state to maintain its citizens well-being, save the costs of evacuating
structures in danger, halt the destruction of historic sites, develop the
coastal area and enable the public to enjoy safe and extensive beaches."  He
added that, "This expresses the Government's commitment to the environment.
We did this last week in order to protect the Sea of Galilee basin; we are
doing so today to defend our coastal escarpment."

Environmental Protection Minister Erdan commended the plan.