[Freemanlist2] Adm. Mullen Evades Answer on Shooting Down IAF Jet -Gil Ronen

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 21 18:06:27 CDT 2010

Phone or Fax: 713-723-6016 * E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net

========================
JERUSALEM IS OURS
GET USED TO IT!
==========

Freeman Military Note: If the American Air Force is used against Israel, it will be destroyed. I don't want this to happened!

Adm. Mullen Evades Answer on Shooting Down IAF Jet

Iyar 7, 5770, 21 April 10 11:25by Gil Ronen

(Israelnationalnews.com) The Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen, evaded a question Tuesday regarding the theoretical possibility that the US would shoot down IAF jets en route to attack Iran.
The Weekly Standard reported that in a town hall meeting on the campus of the University of West Virginia, a US Air Force ROTC cadet asked Mullen to respond to a hypothetical situation: if Israel decided to attack Iran, he said, its jets would need to fly through Iraqi airspace, which is considered a “no-fly” zone by the American military. Would US troops shoot down the Israeli jets, the airman asked, if they entered that zone?

Mullen evaded the question. “We have an exceptionally strong relationship with Israel,” he said. “I’ve spent a lot of time with my counterpart in Israel. So we also have a very clear understanding of where we are. And beyond that, I just wouldn’t get into the speculation of what might happen and who might do what. I don’t think it serves a purpose, frankly,” he said. “I am hopeful that this will be resolved in a way where we never have to answer a question like that.”

The cadet insisted: “Would an airman like me ever be ordered to fire on an Israeli aircraft or personnel?”
Mullen still would not answer directly. “Again, I wouldn’t move out into the future very far from here,” he said. “They’re an extraordinarily close ally, have been for a long time, and will be in the future.”

Brzezinski: 'confront them'

In September, former National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski urged the US to fire on Israeli jets if they try to reach Iran. “They have to fly over our airspace in Iraq. Are we just going to sit there and watch? We have to be serious about denying them that right,” he said. “If they fly over, you go up and confront them. They have the choice of turning back or not.”
US President Barack Obama called Brzezinski "one of our most outstanding thinkers" in 2007, when Brzezinski endorsed his candidacy for the Democratic presidential nomination.

www.IsraelNationalNews.com
© Copyright IsraelNationalNews.com
Subscribe to the free Daily Israel Report - israelnn.com/subscribe