[Freemanlist2] NY Times Calls Neighborhood in Jerusalem West Bank Settlement + Eli Weisel

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 20 11:37:46 CDT 2010

Phone or Fax: 713-723-6016 * E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net

NY Times Calls Neighborhood in Jerusalem 'West Bank Settlement'
by Tzvi Ben Gedalyahu

The New York Times, in keeping with the Obama adminstration's policy that many Jewish neighborhoods in Jerusalem are "settlements," has corrected a photo caption in which it used that term for a Jewish neighborhood in the city, also stating it is the "West Bank."

The mistake was published last Thursday in a photo caption that read, “Ultra-Orthodox Jews last month in Ramat Shlomo, a Jewish settlement in the West Bank,” the Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America (CAMERA) reported.

The following day, the Times wrote, “A picture caption on Thursday with the continuation of a news analysis article about a shift in the Obama administration's Middle East policy referred incorrectly to Ramat Shlomo, the name of a Jewish housing development that Israel says it is expanding despite objections by the United States and the Palestinian Authority. It is a neighborhood in East Jerusalem, not a settlement in the West Bank.”

However, the term “East Jerusalem” also is inaccurate. It refers to all parts of the city that were restored to Israel in the Six-Day War in 1967, and those areas include neighborhoods in southern and northern Jerusalem as well as in the eastern part of the capital.

The term "East Jerusalem” also implies that it is a separate political entity, unlike the term “eastern” or “southern” Jerusalem, which refers to an area in relationship to the rest of the city.

Unlike parts of Judea and Samaria that were to be part of the country of ”Trans-Jordan,” the United Nations Partition Plan did not allocate to Jordan any parts of Jerusalem, which was supposed to be administered by the United Nations.

Following the Arab world’s rejection of the Partition Plan, it tried to annihilate the new State of Israel, which fought until a ceasefire in 1949 left the capital divided until 1967.

Another term that has been recognized internationally but is misleading is “West Bank", meaning the land that lies west of the Jordan River. Literally speaking, that would include all of the Land of Israel whose border is the Mediterranean Sea. In practice it is used to refer to Judea and Samaria.
Comment on this story

Israel PicsView of Beitar Elite from Gush Etzion
View It!

Political CartoonSunday, April 18, 2010
View It!

2. Elie Weisel: Jerusalem is Above Politics
by Arutz Sheva staff

World renowned author and activist Elie Weisel, a Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor,  took out full page ads in major American newspapers to express his views on the city of Jerusalem. Here are his words as published in The International Herald Tribune, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal on April 16, 2010 and in The New York Times on April 18, 2010:

It was inevitable: Jerusalem once again is at the center of political debates and international storms. New and old tensions surface at a disturbing pace. Seventeen times destroyed and seventeen times rebuilt, it is still in the middle of diplomatic confrontations that could lead to armed conflict. Neither Athens nor Rome has aroused that many passions.

For me, the Jew that I am, Jerusalem is above politics. It is mentioned more than six hundred times in Scripture -- and not a single time in the Koran. Its presence in Jewish history is overwhelming. There is no more moving prayer in Jewish history than the one expressing our yearning to return to Jerusalem. To many theologians, it IS Jewish history, to many poets, a source of inspiration. It belongs to the Jewish people and is much more than a city, it is what binds one Jew to another in a way that remains hard to explain. When a Jew visits Jerusalem for the first time, it is not the first time; it is a homecoming. The first song I heard was my mother's lullaby about and for Jerusalem. Its sadness and its joy are part of our collective memory.

Since King David took Jerusalem as his capital, Jews have dwelled inside its walls with only two interruptions; when Roman invaders forbade them access to the city and again, when under Jordanian occupation, Jews, regardless of nationality, were refused entry into the old Jewish quarter to meditate and pray at the Wall, the last vestige of Solomon's temple. It is important to remember: had Jordan not joined Egypt and Syria in the war against Israel, the old city of Jerusalem would still be Arab. Clearly, while Jews were ready to die for Jerusalem they would not kill for Jerusalem.

Today, for the first time in history, Jews, Christians and Muslims all may freely worship at their shrines. And, contrary to certain media reports, Jews, Christians and Muslims ARE allowed to build their homes anywhere in the city. The anguish over Jerusalem is not about real estate but about memory.

What is the solution? Pressure will not produce a solution. Is there a solution? There must be, there will be. Why tackle the most complex and sensitive problem prematurely? Why not first take steps which will allow the Israeli and Palestinian communities to find ways to live together in an atmosphere of security. Why not leave the most difficult, the most sensitive issue, for such a time?

Jerusalem must remain the world's Jewish spiritual capital, not a symbol of anguish and bitterness, but a symbol of trust and hope. As the Hasidic master Rebbe Nahman of Bratslav said, "Everything in this world has a heart; the heart itself has its own heart."

Jerusalem is the heart of our heart, the soul of our soul.

- Elie Wiesel
Comment on this story