[Freemanlist2] President Peres on Remembrance Day for the Fallen of Israel's wars at the Western Wall

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 19 20:41:53 CDT 2010

Phone or Fax: 713-723-6016 * E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net

========================

Spokesperson’s Department
Office of the President

Sunday, April 18, 2010

President Peres on Remembrance Day for the Fallen of Israel's wars at the Western Wall

Bereaved families, whose Remembrance Day does not start with the siren that
calls for a minute of silence, or ends with the kindling of the beacons,

Chief of the General Staff, Major-General Gabi Ashkenazi, at the head of the
IDF soldiers in these crucial times,

Beloved families:
You who came to this place, in the nebulous light of dusk, in the chilly
Jerusalem evening air, facing the remnants of the Temple.

You, parents, widows, children, brothers and sisters, sitting among us here
with silent lips and tearful eyes.

You, the representatives of over twenty thousand households in Israel, who
lost the most precious of all, in the storm of battle, and in the line of
duty.

A son, a daughter, whom we shall never again see.

The daughter whose laughter rings in your ears, the peals of laughter of the
father, the husband, which we shall never hear again. The look in the eyes,
the sadness and the smile of the brother, the sister, who are lost for
evermore.

It is because of the disappearance of this smile, and of this sadness, the
void left by moments lovely, difficult, moving and sad, that we are convened
here this evening.

To grieve today for the loss of young lives and the bereavement of families
that wished to see their sons and daughters become scientists and teachers,
intellectuals and locksmiths, to mourn their departure from the world of the
living.

I am aware that nothing can compensate for the sound of the steps of a son
you expect to hear in the staircase and that has suddenly turned silent. The
son whose uniform you hung on a hanger in the closet and that generates a
yearning to smell the smell of his body one last time.

The son or daughter whose pictures you look at with a longing that becomes
increasingly more acute.

Facing your tormented eyesthere is a loss of words. A testimony of the
truth that destiny has inflicted upon you the heaviest of prices
bereavement. And bequeathed to our nation the greatest of achievements
revival.

In their battle, the fallen prevented the destruction of the new tabernacle
of David.

Their outstanding courage led to victory despite being outnumbered and
outgunned by the aggressors.

The destiny of Israel is similar to the destiny of an only son in human
history. With no brother that equals his faith. With no sister that equals
his language. With no partner in his destiny. With no territorial depth.
With no natural resources.

Israel's strength springs from the strength of its faith. And its greatness
emanates from the heroism of its sons.

Today we grieve for their loss. And are blessed by their legacy.

Dear families,
You brought them into this world. You shaped their world.

On the eastern wall of the nation their pictures will hang as a mark of a
miracle, of a legend, a legacy. A legacy that still imbues the ranks of IDF
soldiers also today. A legacy that relates to the dangers of the past and
serves as a warning for the dangers that might be. A legacy that has no fear
nor is it hampered by helplessness. A legacy marked by a chain of triumphs.
A legacy that will not forget the missing or abducted soldiers and will do
everything in its power to bring them back.

I remember the first Independence Day on which even then we were attacked.
And I also remember the last missile launched against us.

And to dispel the doubts that have built up, now stand the gravestones of
our sons, to testify that we could and we shall.

Even if the dangers of today did not pass, the courage of yesterday did not
wane.

There are still those who wish to annihilate us. And at their head, the
autocratic Iranian regime that seeks to cast its rule over the Middle East,
silence it with lethal weapons, and launch an anti-Israel incitement
campaign to deflect Arab concerns.

On no account must we disregard these threats. Nor should our enemies
belittle our capabilities.

A threat to the peace of the Jewish people always carries the danger of
turning into a threat to the civilized world as a whole. To its well-being
and values.

We shall stand fast according to our tradition until the enlightened world
wakes up to the danger it is facing. A challenge to it, no less than to us.

We are a minority among the nations. But we had the good fortune to have
sons that defended us with great courage.

Alone we won seven wars, and emerged from them more strengthened and more
determined.

Dear families,
Facing you, standing in front of the remnants of our Temple, I say to you, I
say to Zahal's soldiers, I say to all the citizens of Israel:

You are here, Zahal soldiers. Citizens of Israel, they are with you and
stand behind you.

You are the shield of our people, everywhere and through the ages. On this
blessed occasion, I want to say in the name of the State of Israel at large:
We do not seek war. We are a nation that yearns for peace, but know how to,
and will know how to, defend itself.

We are a democratic country, with a great deal of divisiveness and chasms,
and internal disagreements and wrangling  yet we are also a nation that
knows how to stand united and put aside the bickering in times of need, able
to defend itself and inflict a resounding defeat on those who wish to
destroy us.

Dear families,
Your sons and daughters, absent from our midst, enabled us to be here this
evening with you, and we must thank God for our wonderful country, despite
the shortcomings we have to put right.

In the 62nd year of our independence, the aggressors were beaten back but
did not disappear, and meanwhile, the largest Jewish nation in the annals of
Jewish history was born. We have the strongest army we have ever known.  And
the most prosperous economy we have ever had in our years of independence.
Alongside the most advanced scientific achievements, a vigorous culture and
a democracy that even in times of war enjoyed freedom.

And the hope that someday soon we shall know peace.

We must remember what came before us. And think about what will follow. And
we know that without the sons that have fallen there would be no future for
the children that will be born.

We want to express our gratitude from the bottom of our hearts to the youths
that are no more whom you raised and in whom you instilled the values that
made them into what they were until their last breath.

It is their courage that gave our people the strength to face the challenges
ahead not to fear the enemy, not to cease building, not to lose faith in
the peace to come. And it will come.

This evening, as the events marking Remembrance Day begin, and tomorrow
evening, as the celebrations marking Israel's 62nd Anniversary start, the
State of Israel says thank you to its defenders. It says thank you to Zahal
for what it is. And thank you again.

Bereaved families,
The State of Israel holds your hands with immense love, the love of a people
that knows how to embrace its sons, who make us proud by their fighting and
building ability.

For More Information:
Ayelet Frish  Spokesperson of the President 050-620-5111
Meital Jaslovitz  Assistant to Spokesperson of the President 050-420-5230

3 HaNassi St., Jerusalem Israel 92188     Tel. +972-2-6707256     Fax.
+972-2-6707295
Email: spokesperson at president.gov.il
~~~~~~~~%%@@@@^^(())

=====================
THERE IS NO MAGIC CURE FOR CONFLICT
OBAMA THINKS THERE IS, IF YOU SACRIFICE ISRAEL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ISRAELIS MUST BE PREPARED FOR A CONTINUOUS BATTLE FOR SURVIVAL
WE CAN NOT RESIGN FROM THIS STRUGGLE
WE CAN NOT DEPEND ON ANY OTHER NATION
THIS IS OUR BATTLE - AND WE MUST FIGHT IT ALONE
WE WILL WIN BECAUSE OF OUR MIGHT AND RIGHTEOUSNESS
AND THE ALMIGHTY WILL BE BY OUR SIDE
))))))))))((((((((((

MAY ISRAEL AVOID PREEMPTIVE SURRENDER IN 2010
By Not Agreeing To Self-Destruction as per Orders from the US and the Left.
===========================
 Orwell's Newspeak In The Middle East

Peace Process = Piece of Israel For Piece of Paper
Zionist Left (Labor, Kadima & Meretz) = Arab Nationalism Not Zionism
Self-Defense = Restraint = Israeli Deaths to Save Arab Lives
Transfer = Transfer Jews Not Arabs
American Aid = Does Not Aid Israel = American Control of Israel
Jewish Power NOT Jewish Weakness
Israeli Leadership = Chelmite Leadership = No Leadership
ISLAM IS NOT A RELIGION OF PEACE AND LOVE

[Freeman Center Note: Considering the Jewish historical experience with weakness, ALL Jews (and, of course, Israelis) should be armed and able to defend themselves. Any attempt by the government to disarm Jews should be resisted by force. Better to die a free man than to live as a slave. Any attempt by the U.S, Europe or the UN to limit Israeli military freedom of action should be prevented!]
HASHEM HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES.
PLEASE DON'T WAIT FOR A MIRACLE -
BE THE MIRACLE!!

THE TRUTH MAY NOT ALWAYS BE POPULAR,