[Freemanlist2] Dr. Aaron Lerner - Commentary: Policy Debate – A Matter of Connecting The Dots

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 16 09:13:04 CDT 2010

Phone or Fax: 713-723-6016 * E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net

========================

Weekly Commentary: Policy Debate – A Matter of Connecting The Dots

Dr. Aaron Lerner                   Date: 15 April 2010

Dividing Jerusalem and putting the Old City under international
administration will bring conflict – not peace.

Israel has to control the Jordan Valley in any deal with the Palestinians.

American guarantees that a Palestinian state would remain demilitarized can’t
be relied upon.

A security pact signed by the United State can’t take the place of territory
vital for Israel’s security.

It is naïve to think that withdrawing to the ’67 lines will bring Israel an
enduring peace.

These are among the “dots” that polls, such as the recent survey carried out
for IMRA by Maagar Mochot, consistently indicate the overwhelming majority
of Israelis agree on.

And that’s important.

Because while withdrawal advocates may enjoy the support of most of the
media as well as financial assistance from foreign governments and their
surrogates, the dots back their opponents.

And it is considerably easier to enter a policy debate when all that’s left
to do is connect the dots that the public already acknowledges.

That’s not just the situation in Israel.

Here is what American Jews answered last month when asked the most
fundamental of questions in an poll commissioned by the AJC:

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? “The goal of the
Arabs is not the return of occupied territories but rather the destruction
of Israel.”
Agree 75% Disagree 20% Not Sure 5%

Outright rejection of the working premise of “withdrawal brings peace”
religion.

That’s not to say policy advocates should be complacent.  If anything, they
should be encouraged by the results to make the effort to get the public to
connect the dots.

Dr. Aaron Lerner, Director IMRA (Independent Media Review & Analysis)
(Mail POB 982 Kfar Sava)
Tel 972-9-7604719/Fax 972-3-7255730
INTERNET ADDRESS: imra at netvision.net.il
Website: http://www.imra.org.il