[Freemanlist2] Israel sends humanitarian aid to Chinese earthquake victims [Also satellite imagery]

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 25 11:39:02 CDT 2008

      Sunday, M  FREEMAN CENTER BROADCAST- May 25, 2008

Phone or Fax: 713-723-6016 * E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net

  =============   SUPPORT THE FREEMAN CENTER
  KEEP OUR VOICE STRONG
  ====================   Ignorance Is Weakness - Know The Truth
  Old Texas Saying: To avoid being bitten by a rattlesnake, never pick it up by the tail. Cut off the head of the snake and it becomes harmless. Please don't draw any parallels to the leftist government of Israel, which has poisoned our Zionist nation with its deadly bite.
  =====================================

May 25, 2008

    [Also satellite imagery]Israel sends humanitarian aid to Chinese earthquake victims
      [Dr. Aaron Lerner - IMRA: On 19 May Israel Television Channel 2 News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7409106.stm
reported that Israel provided, at China's request, detailed satellite
imagery of areas hit by the recent earthquake in China to facilitate damage
assessment and rescue and recovery planning.]
  Israel sends humanitarian aid to Chinese earthquake victims
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs coordinated the aid effort, funded by Israel
Corporation and philanthropists from Los Angeles, to bring medical
equipment, clothing, tents and water purification kits from Israel to
earthquake victims in China.
(Communicated by the Foreign Ministry Spokesman)
May 25, 2008
  On Sunday, May 25, 2008, an Israeli plane took off for the city of Chengdu
with humanitarian aid for victims of the earthquake that struck the Sichuan
province in southwestern China last week. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
which coordinated the aid effort, collected more than one and a half million
dollars, a million of which were donated by Israel Corporation, headed by
Idan Ofer, and its subsidiaries, and half a million by Jewish
philanthropists Diane and Gilford Glazer, through the United Israel Appeal.
  The plane carried about 90 tons of medicines and medical equipment, water
purification kits, generators, tents, sleeping bags, and clothing intended
for the earthquake survivors.
  The aid comes in addition to money transferred by the Israeli embassy in
Beijing to the Chinese Red Cross at the beginning of last week, to be used
for immediate evacuations, and a shipment of sleeping bags and blankets that
arrived in China on Thursday, 22 May.
  As soon as the extent of the disaster became known, the Israeli embassy in
Beijing turned to the local Foreign Ministry and offered help in the form of
Israeli evacuation and rescue teams and a field hospital. The Chinese
government thanked the embassy staff for the offer but at this stage
preferred help with acquiring basic equipment to house the hundreds of
thousands of survivors left homeless.
  Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Tzipi Livni, together
with representatives from Israel Corporation and the Chairman of UIA, Avi
Pozner, presented the aid shipment to the Chinese ambassador to Israel at a
special ceremony that took place Sunday morning at Ben Gurion International
Airport
At the ceremony, FM Livni said, "What Israel is doing this morning is the
minimum that we can do to express the warm relations between Israel and
China. As soon as the disaster occurred, we turned to the Chinese and asked
what we could do. In coordination with them, we are sending a plane with aid
this morning, which is the least that we can do. We concentrated on items
essential to evacuation and rescue operations. Israel's willingness to help
out wherever a disaster occurs is an expression of the humanitarian side of
Israel's relations with the rest of the states in the world.
  We would like to thank the Israel Corporation and the United Israel Appeal."
  FM Livni also told the Chinese ambassador that the aid shipment did not
include just packages but also the sincere feelings of the Israeli people.