[Freemanlist2] Israel As a Democracy-for-Hire By Dr. Arieh Eldad

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 18 10:00:05 CDT 2007

FREEMAN CENTER BROADCAST-June 18, 2007
Phone or Fax: 713-723-6016 * E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net
-----------------
I  dream every night that  Israeli Foreign Minister Livni is waving a piece of paper, and announcing peace in our time.
The YEAR is 2007 and not 1938.
I wake up screaming.......Bernard
=====================
The Israeli & American Left are leading us to a  SECOND Holocaust by appeasement, corruption and treason. It is past time for Olmert and his gang of traitors and Chelmites to resign and return Zionist rule to Jerusalem.
================
Your American and Israeli tax dollars and Federation donations will now go to finance the terrorist government of the PA (Abbas). His goal like that of Hamas is to exterminate or expel the Jews of Israel. Olmert is obviously planning Israel's self destruction. At least American motives, while in error, are honest attempts to pursue US interests in the Middle East. Of course the Americans will still be unloved and murdered by Jihad. It certainly would be better if all concerned would act in their nation's best interests.
 ############~~~~~~~~~~~%%%%%&&&&&

Israel As a Democracy-for-Hire
By Dr. Arieh Eldad
June 14 2007

There are all kinds of democracies in the world—some are republics, some are liberal, some have kings; and there are different electoral systems—some based on regional elections, some based on proportional representation, some based on a simple majority vote. Unlike all these, Israel seems to be unique:  It is a democracy-for-hire.
In October 2000, thousands of Arabs rioted in the north of the country.  The Israeli police used clubs, horses, tear gas, and live ammunition to put down this attempt at rebellion. When the clouds cleared, there were thirteen dead; then Prime Minister Ehud Barak was forced to squirm when he testified before the Ohr Commission charged with investigating the behavior of the police and its snipers.  Without waiting for the commission’s conclusions, Barak was proclaimed an “enemy of the people” by Israel ’s Arab sector.
Seven years later, it was thousands of Arabs on the Labor Party membership rolls who tilted the scales to determine that Barak will be the next defense minister of Israel .  The choice was between Barak, a former commander of Sayeret Matkal (the army’s elite General Staff Reconnaissance unit) and Ami Ayalon, a former commander of the Navy Commandos, and it was obviously not an easy choice for the Arabs of Majd-al-Krum.  They knew that if there was a building that had to be broken into, and if that building had a door and a window, it was said of Barak that he would go in through the airconditioner; while Ami Ayalon would try to go in through the pipes riding a miniature submarine.  Faced with these two approaches to military doctrine, the Arabs of Majd-al-Krum chose Barak’s military doctrine, by a vote of 210—0.  It is comforting to see that the Arab hatred for Barak has been transformed to love, and the Arab’s have apparently belatedly acknowledged the benficial role
 played by police snipers in the Israeli democracy.  It is sad to say, but the rhetorical talents of Fuad ben Eliezer undoubtedly played their role in winning over the Arab sector for Barak; 2,650 votes—less than the number of Arab rioters at the Um el Fahm Junction, whether or not you count the dead—was the gap between Ayalon and Barak.  The wonders of Israeli democracy!  A few talented party hacks hired to collect the votes in the Arab sector essentially determined who the next Israeli defense minister would be.
A few hours after the Labor Party primary results were broadcast, I had the privilege of participating in electing the president of the country.  The cliches bandied about concerning this being a celebration of Israeli democracy just don’t fly.  We have had too much of presidents like Ezer Weizmann and Moshe Katzav in the last few years, and now we got Shimon Peres, who in order to finance his last campaign—for a different job—received hundreds of thousands of dollars of debatable legitimacy, the stench of which could be smelled at a distance.  Nonetheless, one might think it a bit of a consolation that 120 members of Knesset elected by millions of Israeli citizens voted for the president.  This even looks like a personal vote in a direct election without those hired to collect votes; and the secrecy of the vote was maintained despite Peres’ scandalous attempt to enact a special law to lift the veil of secrecy. And only because the voting booth’s curtain concealed my vote,
 is it still secret that I voted for Member of Knesset Ruby Rivlin.
But a careful consideration of the situation reveals the truth:  Nothing was celebratory or clean here.  Sixty-five out of 120 members of Knesset were not chosen by the people.  In parties like Kadima , Israel Beitenu, Shas, the Pensioners, Agudat Israel , and in some of the parties which are members of the National Union, there was no canvassing of party members enabling them to elect party officials or determine who would run on the party slate. These slates were put together by a party leader, a rabbi, or a small appointments committee in a closed smoke-filled room.  In other words, a form of the hack hired to bring in the voters; in which case, someone who can be hired or bought in support of this or that candidate. And only the booth’s curtain still separates the democracy of Israel from a labor union of these hired vote collectors.
I heard the Nobel Prize winner Professor Israel Aumann speaking at a conference of the Movement for the Quality of Government in Jerusalem say, “There is no crisis of leadership in Israel .  The blame is not with the leadership but with our people who chose these leaders.”  And the people chose its leaders, most of them failures, some of them quite crooked.  The majority of the Israeli people today want to replace the Olmert Administration, but now those hired to collect the votes in the Arab Sector have determined that Barak will be the minister of defense, and he will join the Cabinet to strengthen Olmert’s hand.  Based on Barak’s ambiguous declarations during the Labor primaries, no one knows if he intends to withdraw his party from the government and bring about new elections.  Once he is minister of defense, he is unlikely to move very quickly in that direction.  Thus, a few thousand Israeli Arabs, members of the Labor party, essentially decided this week that the
 Olmert government will stay in power.  This certainly represents the Arab interest.
Among the unique contributions of the people of Israel to the world: Monotheism, the Book of Books, the Kibbutz, medicine for Multiple Scelorsis, and the trust-me-it’ll-be-alright syndrome—we now give a place of honor to a new form of democracy, the democracy-for hire.