[Freemanlist2] Another Yom Kippur? Assad advocates diplomatic talks, yet evidence shows he is preparing for war

Freeman Center For Strategic Studies bernards at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 3 18:01:49 CDT 2007

FREEMAN CENTER BROADCAST-June 3, 2007
Phone or Fax: 713-723-6016 * E-mail: bernards at sbcglobal.net
To make a tax deductible contribution to the Freeman Center's important educational work, mail check to address above or go to our website to pay by credit card or paypal.
-----------------

I  dream every night that  Israeli Foreign Minister Livni is waving a piece of paper, and announcing peace in our time.
The YEAR is 2007 and not 1938.
I wake up screaming.......Bernard
=====================
The Israeli & American Left are leading us to a  SECOND Holocaust by appeasement, corruption and treason. It is past time for Olmert and his gang of traitors and Chelmites to resign and return Zionist rule to Jerusalem.
================

Another Yom Kippur?
Assad advocates diplomatic talks, yet evidence shows he is preparing for war
Guy Bechor YNET Published: 06.03.07, 19:21 / Israel Opinion
www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3407946,00.html

The UN Security Council's decision to establish an international court to
try Basher Assad and his relatives for the murder of former Lebanese Prime
Minister Rafik Hariri has made the Syrian government frantic.

This development may come at Israel's expense, as within the battle for his
survival Assad may embark on a war against Israel sooner than expected.

It's difficult not to notice that the Syrians are heading for war since they
are convinced that Israel has lost its former "killer instinct" and fears a
conflict. The Syrians followed the suicidal attitude that prevailed here
following the Second Lebanon War with gaping mouths. They view the public
criticism prevalent in the Israeli press and culture, as well as the
Winograd's Commission's testimonies, as their strategic assets.

As a result of the last war they understood that there is no need for a
large ground force, but rather, missiles aimed at dense Israeli population
centers. For the past two years the Syrians have been engaged in massive
acquisitions from Russia. In the past they owed some $11 billion to the
Russians, yet in 2005 the Russians erased part of the debt and the rest was
covered by the Iranians.

Syria began equipping itself with advanced anti-aircraft missiles in order
to crush our Air Force, anti-tank missiles - as the last war demonstrated
that our armored corps weren't prepared - and cruise missiles against our
Navy.

The Saudi London-based daily al-Sharq al-Awsat reported that Syria has
completed the deployment of Chinese C-802 cruise missiles, which it acquired
from Iran, and that the deployment of its Air Force has also been completed.
Russia has expressed its willingness to also sell the Syrians its most
advanced 280 kilometers (174 miles) range Iskander missile, more than enough
to strike at any destination in Israel. Each such missile features an
optical GPS navigational system that allows operators to guide missiles to
their targets.

Wide-scale exercises

Two additional developments of concern occurred recently: Al-Sharq al-Awsat
reported that as of May the Syrian army has been engaged in a series of
wide-scale military exercises. In 1973, as it may be recalled, these
exercises turned out to be a de facto attack. Even the Israeli ambassador to
the US, Salai Meridor, has officially confirmed that Syria has significantly
boosted its military presence on the border with Israel. "Since the Yom
Kippur War Syria hasn't deployed such a significant number of forces on the
border," he said.

What can Israel do in face of these alarming developments? As the IDF has
lost its power of deterrence, it must be reinstated, post haste. Israel must
make it clear that if Syria launches a surprise assault, it may signify the
end of Assad's regime. These moves must be coordinated with the US in order
to place the option of an American-Israeli alliance on the table. As it may
be recalled, large American forces are stationed on the Syria-Iraq border.

In addition, the positive relations between Israel and the Turkish army
should be taken advantage of so that Assad will understand that in the event
of a surprise assault he would have to confront forces on the Turkish border
as well.

And finally, we should explain to the world that this is how Assad is
fooling Israel and the world: He advocates diplomatic talks, yet evidence
shows he is preparing for war.

Click banner below to read Bernard's SF novel showing where current Israeli policy is headed.(Chpt. I & II).)(written Dec 2005 & Jan 2006) Obviously we should have changed direction. Chapter III begins Israel's fantastic journey in to the distant future. Due sometime in the future as it unfolds to the author.